Packing the right gear (and the right amounts) is the first step to an incredible travel experience. Follow these tips to pack like a pro:
Travel light. Pack only the essentials. You’ll need less than you think!
Bring the right clothes. Pack clothes that are culturally appropriate for your destination and acceptable for service projects. This means bringing long shorts (think Bermuda and basketball shorts), t-shirts with sleeves to cover shoulders, and appropriate footwear.
Leave your valuables behind. While traveling, it’s easier for things to get lost, stolen, or damaged. Keep any prized possessions safe at home.
A school backpack is ideal as it will be used for day trips.
- Photocopy of passport
- Book and/or journal
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle
- Outlet power converter
- Additional community service forms
- Consent to Travel form
- Emergency contacts
A 50-70 Liter duffel bag or backpack is ideal. A wheeled bag is only suitable if it can be carried like a duffel over rough terrain.
- Socks (7)
- Underwear (7-8)
- Base layers (1 set)
- Pants/capris (2-3)
- Jeans (1)
- Knee-length shorts (2-3)
- T-shirts (5-7)
- Long sleeved shirt (1-2)
- Quick dry towel
- Rain jacket
- Hiking boots
- Hat (2 – 1 for sun, and 1 for warmth)
- Work gloves
(Travel size bottles in Ziploc bags)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Tooth paste
- Bug spray with DEET
- Feminine hygiene products
- Contact solution
- Foam ear plugs
- Personal med kit
- Wet Wipes
- Razor/shaving cream
- Sleeping bag (25-40°F or -5-5°C)
- Pillow with pillowcase/camping pillow
- Headlamp and spare batteries (2 sets)
- Portable games (Bananagrams, cards, etc.)
- Sports games (Frisbee, soccer ball, etc.)
- Dress – Tank Tops and Short Shorts will not be permitted. Any shorts that do not touch the top of the kneecap are considered “short.” In general, we expect our students to respect cultural norms and to dress accordingly.
- Laundry – You will have an opportunity to do laundry 1-2 times during the program.
- Outlet power converter—Tanzania has 230V Plug Type G outlets.